the kiddies

the kiddies

Monday, April 22, 2013

One income?

I know I just shared my exciting news about my new,
closer-to-home job, and as excited as we are about it,
we also having some other issues on the table.
 
My husband works for one of the biggest companies
in our area. He's been there for 2 and a half years.
And in January, we were informed that they would be laying off
100 people.
They're moving 100 jobs to Mexico.
 
I'm not going to get into the politics of jobs leaving the country.
It's shady. And it sucks!
 
That being said... these 100 jobs are going to be
eliminated from the bottom up. Those with the least
amount of seniority are going bye-bye.
 
Jay is/was (and I say was because a few people have quit
in the mean time) 54th from the bottom.
 
I don't even know where to begin with all of this.
I'm freaking out!
I know we'll figure it out.
I know we'll get by.
But I don't know how exactly we're going to go about it.
Or where we'll make cuts from.
Or what we will sacrifice to make ends meet.
 
We have three children.
Thankfully, given the time line of the layoff,
we will no longer be buying formula. So there's at least
one monthly expense I know we can do away with. And we're
cloth diapering so we won't have that expense either.
But we also have a mortgage.
And a vehicle payment.
And insurance.
And students loans.
And you're standard set of bills.
And the scariest part, Jason carries the health and dental insurance.
Granted I can pick it up through my job when the time comes,
but it will cost us twice as much as it does now.
Sure, he won't have the 20 minute commute, so we'll
be saving a fair amount of money in gas, but not enough
to make up the difference.
 
I'm not going to sugar-coat it.
I'm worried.
I've lost sleep over it and I know my husband has too.
 
You might be asking yourselves, "Why wait? Start the job hunt now!"
 
It's not that simple. Good could come from this layoff.
Because his job is being shipped out of the country, the Federal
government will pay for him to go back to school for two years.
He wants to go back to school.
I'd love for him to go back to school.
 
We just need to figure out if we can survive while he's
hitting the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment