the kiddies

the kiddies

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Cameron's BABY FEVER.

 
The things this kid says...
 
As if his puppy requests weren't gut-wrenching enough,
he's asking for something else these days...
 
A baby.
 
He has more than once asked if we can "get" another baby.
(In fact, he frequently requests to go to the doctor's office because that's
where we can "pick out" a new baby.)
Or mentioned that we have a baby brother but now need a baby sister.
(He clearly doesn't remember a time without Eva. He was only 15 months old
when she joined us. So in his world, she has always been here... and I
guess that translates to not having had a baby sister yet.)
 
He's so adorable in his requests for another baby, that it
makes it next to impossible to respond in an age-appropriate manner.
I usually stick with, "Maybe someday."
 
Fail. Again.
I should know better by now!
This kid (and I'm sure the same could be said for his siblings) does not
hear the word "maybe". The tone of the word itself must be
completely inaudible for him.
 
He had gone silent in his baby requests for a few days, and
I was just starting to think he had forgotten about it.
 
Not even close.
 
I dropped him off at preschool last week and before
I could leave, his teacher pulled me to the side.
"Cameron told us he's getting a new baby!"
Oh Lord.
"No. No baby. I know he wants one... But we're not having one."
She looked surprised.
"So you're not expecting?"
"No."
"Oh. Well he told the whole class last week that he was getting a new baby."
 
At this point, I can't remember what else was said... things got awkward, fast.
I skipped out of there like the place was on fire.
 
So in case you run into my 4 year old, let me just set the record straight.
Right here.
Right now.
 
I am NOT pregnant.
 
But he certainly has put the pressure on an already big decision:
 
To have a 4th baby, or to not have a 4th baby.
 
I guess we all know where Cameron's vote falls.

2 comments:

  1. My 4 year old is ALWAYS asking for a "new baby" lol. He knows that babies come from mommy's tummy, but he doesn't understand that we actually have to DECIDE to have one before doing so haha! He has even gone as far as going in the stores saying "MOMMY HAS A BABY IN HER TUMMY," uhhh no, no baby! Just a pouch LOL! So I am right there with you in the awkward department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's the age...? I'm glad Cam isn't the only preschooler in the market for siblings. :)

      Delete