the kiddies

the kiddies

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

BLUE VELVET PANCAKES

I'm a sucker for all things red velvet.
It's easily my favorite cake, and slowly becoming
a favorite for my entire family.
And now that I've found a way to incorporate "red" velvet
into every one's birthdays, not only is it a favorite,
but a tradition.
All birthdays in this house now start with version of red velvet pancakes!

So for our BLUE VELVET PANCAKES...
(at the request of my handsome 4 year old)

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon blue food coloring
(this is where you get to be creative and tailor it to the
crowd you're cooking for... like BLUE for my son's 4th birthday)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons melted butter

This is a THICK batter, so I usually add 1/4 cup water
to thin it out, and make it so it better resembles standard
pancake batter. The water also makes it easier to pour
onto your griddle.

Cook as you would any other pancake.


These can be topped with pretty much anything.
We usually stick to whipped cream and fruit of some kind.

My daughter has requested pink velvet pancakes for her upcoming birthday.
I found pink food coloring, so wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment