the kiddies

the kiddies

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

CANDY CANE SUGAR SCRUB

I love DIY gifts!
I feel like I put in more thought,
time, and effort in DIY projects and gifts,
and hopefully that's something my recipients can appreciate.
 
I recently made a candy cane sugar scrub and
it's TOO GOOD not to share.
 
 
This was SO easy, it smells SO amazing,
and it feels SUPER luxurious.
 
You'll need...
 
 
I'll admit, in the small town I live in,
almond oil and peppermint essential oil weren't
exactly the simplest things to find,
and they're not the cheapest products ever...
but they're worth every penny.
 
CANDY CANE SUGAR SCRUB
 
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup sweet almond oil
peppermint essential oil
red food coloring
 
Start by combining the sugar and almond oil.
(Be patient! This will take a LOT of stirring
to combine the two evenly.)
I only added enough to make the sugar feel moist,
but not wet.
 
Next, add a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
 Only add 2 or 3 drops at a time (mixing evenly
before adding more). Peppermint is an incredibly
strong scent, so it won't take much. Keep adding drops
until you've reached a strength in scent that you're happy with.
 
Next, divide the mixture into two bowls.
 
 
One bowl with be left white and the other bowl will be red.
 
Add a few drops of red food coloring.
You're going to need your patience for this step too.
The food coloring will initially seem clumpy and spotty,
but the more you stir and smooth it out, the more even the
coloring will become.

 
As a reference, I only added 3 drops of red food coloring.
Next time, I would definitely add a couple more, so it's less pink
and more red.
 
The final step is to find a fun, pretty jar (I simply
cleaned out and old Bath and Body Works candle) to
store it in.
 
I layered the sugar scrub, alternating colors, and pressing
firmly between each to achieve the candy-cane-like strips.
 
ENJOY!
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment