the kiddies

the kiddies

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Equality.


Today, gay marriage is illegal in most states. No matter how profound and honest one person may love another, despite the genders of each party, not all are allowed to proclaim that love on a legal platform. Denying two men or two women the human right to enter a marriage sends a message that heterosexuality is more valuable than homosexuality. The philosophy that marriage is for ONE man and ONE woman is unjust, and it is time for change.
LOVE.
HONOR.
COMMITMENT.
I was raised in a family where gay was normal. It wasn’t something that needed to be treated differently. I understand that it can be hard for some people to accept the gay community when they haven’t had the same upbringing and exposure I have had. But this is not a trend. This is not a fad. We’re not going to wake up 100 years from now having eradicated “gay”. It’s here. It’s real. And being gay deserves the same treatment that being straight does.
 I have gay friends. I have gay family members. The love they feel for their partners is no different than the love I feel for my husband. Allowing them to marry the person they choose changes nothing about my marriage.
The time is now. We’re progressed towards equality in so many other aspects, and it’s time to do the same for sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment