the kiddies

the kiddies

Monday, March 18, 2013

HOMEMADE fruit snacks!

I'm obsessed with Pinterest!
And when I find a recipe for something I would normally
buy from the store, it almost seems too good to be true.
Of course I knew you could make fruit snacks,
I just had no idea how easy it would be!
 
 
 
1/3 C lemon juice
1/3 C water
2/3 clean and chopped strawberries (this can be substituted for whatever fruit you want to use)
2 tbsp. honey
5 tbsp. gelatin
 
Add lemon juice, water, and strawberries to a sauce pan. Over medium heat, warm the mixture until the strawberries start to soften.
 
Lower heat and stir in honey. Dissolve completely.
 
Puree mixture. (I used a Baby Bullet, and it worked great!)
 
Return the mixture to original pan and whisk in gelatin 1 TBSP at a time. Adding it slowly will help prevent the gelatin from clumping. If the gelatin just get clumpy, you can always puree the mixture again. OPTION: Use a strainer to remove seeds prior to adding gelatin.
 
Once all of the gelatin is completely dissolved, pour the mixture in an 8x8 pan (I used glass).
 
Refrigerate for 1 hour or until mixture is completely set.
 
The fruit snacks will easily lift from the pan in one piece. From here you can cut it into small cubes, or fun shapes!
 

Next time I might use, orange juice instead of lemon.
The fruit snacks were just a little bit tart, but
my kids still loved them.
 
This could easily be something we'll repeat on a weekly basis!
 
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment